Skip to main content

[Community Question] Linear-algebra: Cardinality of infinite dimensional vector space of functions

One of our user asked:

Assume that F is an infinite field, k is an infinite cardinal, and V= F^k is a vector space. Can it be prove proved that |V|= dimV?
My thought was that we know that|V|= max {dimV,|F|}, so all I need is to prove is that if |V|=|F|, then also |F|=dimV. Now, from Konig theorem, if |V|=|F|, then k< cf(|F|), so I tried to prove that k< cf(|F|) is imposible, but i didn't know how to continue this line of thougt. Has sombodey know how to prove it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Community Question] Calculus: calculating 2 constants in a function

One of our user asked: $$M=\{f\in C[0,2\pi],\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sinxdx=\pi,\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sin2xdx=2\pi\} $$ $a,b\in \mathbb R, g\in M, g(x)=asinx+bsin2x,x\in [0,2\pi]$ I've read on the answers that $a=1,b=2$ and I don't know how to calculate them. Can somebody explain me,please? By the way, the problem is to determine $ \int_{0}^{2\pi}(g(x))^2 dx$ so you have to first get the constants $a$ and $b$ .

Calculus: A difficulty in understanding a step in a solution.

Here is the solution: But I could not understand how the last term in the fourth line came from the line before it, could anyone explain this for me please?