Skip to main content

[Community Question] Calculus: Obtaining a step function given a condition

One of our user asked:

Find a step function s such that $$\int_{0}^{2} s(x) dx=5 \quad \int_{0}^{5} s(x) dx=2$$ The given answer is $$s(x)=\dfrac{5}{2} \quad \text{if} \quad 0 \leq x < 2$$

$$s(x)=-1 \quad \text{if} \quad -2 \leq x \leq 5$$

I don't understand how does one arrive to this solution.. even graphically trying to understand it I didn't come to a solution. Can someone please help me figure out how?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Community Question] Calculus: calculating 2 constants in a function

One of our user asked: $$M=\{f\in C[0,2\pi],\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sinxdx=\pi,\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sin2xdx=2\pi\} $$ $a,b\in \mathbb R, g\in M, g(x)=asinx+bsin2x,x\in [0,2\pi]$ I've read on the answers that $a=1,b=2$ and I don't know how to calculate them. Can somebody explain me,please? By the way, the problem is to determine $ \int_{0}^{2\pi}(g(x))^2 dx$ so you have to first get the constants $a$ and $b$ .

Calculus: A difficulty in understanding a step in a solution.

Here is the solution: But I could not understand how the last term in the fourth line came from the line before it, could anyone explain this for me please?