Skip to main content

[Community Question] Calculus: Integrate $xe^{-bx/d}\mathrm{erfc}(ax+c)$

One of our user asked:

I want to calculate and evaluate the following integral: $$\frac{B}{2 D}\int_{0}^{\infty} xe^{\frac{-Bx}{D}} erfc(\frac{x+x_{0}-Bt}{2\sqrt{Dt}})$$ My idea was to integrate by parts by setting: $$u= erfc(\frac{x+x_{0}-Bt}{2\sqrt{Dt}}), du=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{Dt}} e^{-(\frac{x+x_{0}-Bt}{2\sqrt{Dt}})^2}$$ $$dv=xe^{-\frac{Bx}{D}},v=e^{-\frac{Bx}{D}}(\frac{Bx}{D}x+1)*\frac{D^2}{B^2}$$

I have calculated further and got some results, but I am not sure if my thinking is right, or even if there is some easier or more efficient way to do this analytically or numerically,(for example by expanding the error function as infinite series). Any tips would be appreciated.

And of course, erfc is the complementary error function with: $$erfc(\frac{x+x_{0}-Bt}{2\sqrt{Dt}})=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{\frac{x+x_{0}-Bt}{2\sqrt{Dt}}}^{\infty} e^{-z^2} dz $$


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Community Question] Linear-algebra: non-negative matrix satisfying two conditions

One of our user asked: A real matrix $B$ is called non-negative if every entry is non-negative. We will denote this by $B\ge 0$ . I want to find a non-negative matrix $B$ satisfying the following two conditions: (1) $(I-B)^{-1}$ exists but not non-negative. Here $I$ is the identity matrix. (2) There is a non-zero and non-negative vector $\vec{d}$ such that $(I-B)^{-1}\vec{d}\ge 0$ . I tried all the $2\times 2$ matrices, but it did not work. I conjecture that such a $B$ does not exist, but don't know how to prove it.

[Community Question] Calculus: calculating 2 constants in a function

One of our user asked: $$M=\{f\in C[0,2\pi],\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sinxdx=\pi,\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sin2xdx=2\pi\} $$ $a,b\in \mathbb R, g\in M, g(x)=asinx+bsin2x,x\in [0,2\pi]$ I've read on the answers that $a=1,b=2$ and I don't know how to calculate them. Can somebody explain me,please? By the way, the problem is to determine $ \int_{0}^{2\pi}(g(x))^2 dx$ so you have to first get the constants $a$ and $b$ .