Skip to main content

[Community Question] Linear-algebra: Pauli matrices span the set of $2 \times 2$ matrices over $\mathbb{C}$?

One of our user asked:

Define $B = \{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}I, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}X, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}Y, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}Z \}$, where:

$I = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \\ \end{bmatrix}$, $X = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \\\end{bmatrix}$, $Y = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & i \\ -i & 0 \\ \end{bmatrix}$, and $Z = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{bmatrix}$

I am trying to show that B (modified from the Pauli matrices) span the set of $2 \times 2$ matrices with entries in $\mathbb{C}$ (denote $\mathcal{M}_2(\mathbb{C})$).

If $A \in \mathcal{M}_2(\mathbb{C})$, then we can write:

$A = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{bmatrix}$ for some $a, b, c, d \in \mathbb{C}$.

I think that I want to show that $A = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\lambda_0I + \lambda_1X + \lambda_2Y + \lambda_3Z)$?

This means I would need to show that the system given by: $\{a = \lambda_0 + \lambda_3, \ b = \lambda_1 + \lambda_2i, \ c = \lambda_1 - \lambda_2i, \ d = \lambda_0 - \lambda_3\}$ is always solvable. How do I go about doing this? Or should I approach the question some other way?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Community Question] Calculus: calculating 2 constants in a function

One of our user asked: $$M=\{f\in C[0,2\pi],\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sinxdx=\pi,\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x)sin2xdx=2\pi\} $$ $a,b\in \mathbb R, g\in M, g(x)=asinx+bsin2x,x\in [0,2\pi]$ I've read on the answers that $a=1,b=2$ and I don't know how to calculate them. Can somebody explain me,please? By the way, the problem is to determine $ \int_{0}^{2\pi}(g(x))^2 dx$ so you have to first get the constants $a$ and $b$ .

Calculus: A difficulty in understanding a step in a solution.

Here is the solution: But I could not understand how the last term in the fourth line came from the line before it, could anyone explain this for me please?